Wednesday, July 20, 2011

How I started as a Screenwriter or this last year in a bucket!

July 2010 - Having a cup of tea with my friend Eric, we got onto the subject of writing. We both loved to write, so we often share snippets we are working on. I casually mentioned to him, I had part of a screenplay I had started working on 5 years before, but had never got round to finishing. He said, "read me some," so I did. As he roared with the laughter, I wondered if maybe, it had some potential. "You should finish it," he said. I thought, why not? And even though I had never written a screenplay before, I bought some screenwriting software and did just that, finished it... Or so I thought. It was 130 pages of what I thought was sheer brilliance. Now what? I thought. I shared with friends they all seemed to enjoy it. I sent it off for professional proof-reading, grammar (as you have probably noticed is not my strong suit) but I wasn't going to let that stop me. Them I decided to sent it off to a big screenwriting competition. Why not? Then I heard of a person coming to my hometown to talk about Pitchfest a sort of  "speed dating' for screenwriters. Except your "dates" are a long line of TV and movie producers (or their assistants and interns at least..)   Two weeks later I was packed and on my way to Hollywood and my first professional experience as a completely green Screenwriter....    (next blog I will tell you what happened)

No comments:

Post a Comment