Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Life as a Screenwriter.

So, I have decided to write this blog, more as a visual record as my life as a screenwriter, as I don't think anyone else will be interested in my life. It's just an online place to write my thoughts, keep account of my experiences in screenwriting, map my success and generally chart my course. Something I can look back and see where I have come from or where I am going. But if you stumble on this by accident Welcome...

We always think that everyone else has a more glamorous life than our own don't we? I,'m a screenwriter. It always surprises me how peoples eyes light up when I tell them that. Always followed quickly by a comment such as "have you seen anything I your?" Then, "have you got a part for me in your next movie?" Both comments always make me smile. Firstly, a director normally likes to choose his own cast, and secondly, if your looking for the most invisible way to have a writing career, screenwriting is for you. I mean, I even I walk off to get a cup of tea when they announce the winning screenwriter at the Academy Awards. And is my imagination or do screenwriters get the shortest amount of time for their thank yous?
This, I think is because on the whole screenwriters are not part of the glamorous pack in Hollywood. They're normally packing a few pounds into a badly fitted suit, and their teeth aren't quite as white and straight as everyone elses. But that OK because screenwriters are typically in the business of telling stories, that what is our passion, creating stories that are clever, witty, breathtakingly beautiful or striking. So the reality is the majority of our life is spent underground talking, arguing and relating to a bunch of make believe characters that fill our days and night. There just isn't much time to get our teeth straightened.
So here's some advice next time you meet a screenwriter, ask them about characters, their plots, their new log line. It will make them happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment